Re: "#+STARTUP: hideblocks" has no effect?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: "#+STARTUP: hideblocks" has no effect?
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 20:12:02 -0400

autofrettage <autofrettage@protonmail.ch> writes:

> I recently read about the #+STARTUP parameter "hideblocks", but it
> doesn't seem to have any effect in my set-up. All the blocks kept
> laughing straight in my face. :-(
>
> Any ideas about what could have gone wrong?
>
> I use Org Mode 9.4.5 with Emacs 26.3, and I also tried closing the
> file and Emacs before I tried.
>

> p.s. Setting org-hide-block-startup with local variables is a
> solution, but not as nice as doing it with #+STARTUP, I'd say.

It interacts with org-startup-folded (whose default was changed
recently to 'showeverything'): you need to set the latter to something
other than 'showeverything' in order for hideblocks to be effective.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler