Re: Bug: org-no-popups disregards display-buffer-fallback-action [9.4.6

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Bug: org-no-popups disregards display-buffer-fallback-action [9.4.6 (9.4.6-13-g4be129-elpaplus @ /home/jeeger/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210920/)]
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 14:08:36 +0800

dal-blazej@onenetbeyond.org writes:

> I just inspected the git version.
>
> Is the macro 'org-no-popups' setting _'pop-up-windows' to nil_ and is
> only used by 'org-switch-to-buffer-other-window' that call
> 'switch-to-buffer-other-window' which in turn,
> set _'pop-up-windows' to t_ ?
>
> Also 'pop-up-windows', 'pop-up-frame' are announced to be « provided
> mainly for backward compatibility and should not be used in new code ».

You are right. org-no-popups was more widely used in the past. It is
probably time to obsolete it and eventually remove it.

AFAIU, org-no-popups is a legacy function introduced very long time ago.
Is it left there mostly to keep the working code working.

> As others I am currently advising a lot of org display functions to make
> them obey to my 'display-buffer-alist'. I hope for a better cooperation
> from org to window.el.

Can you elaborate? We are looking forward for ideas how to improve Org
in this area. More concrete suggestions are welcome.

Best,
Ihor