Re: Concrete suggestions to improve Org mode third-party integration ::

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Concrete suggestions to improve Org mode third-party integration :: an afterthought following Karl Voit's Orgdown proposal
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 20:56:50 +0800

"Gerry Agbobada" <emacs-orgmode@gagbo.net> writes:

> Just not to leave this be a wild guess or a lone data-point, I want to say
> that I’m exactly in the same case, and I really don’t want to bring up
> anything I do related to org-mode here because of this kind of backlash
> without which I feel really better. Too bad I guess, I’ll just try to
> communicate here and there through github issues as I’ve been doing until now.

I am sorry about your experience.

Judging from your previous emails, you are very interested in grammar
parsing and asked several questions about external implementations of
Org grammar.

Note that your emails (even unanswered) did not go unnoticed. The main
problem is that we do not actually have a consistent uniform grammar, we
just _mostly_ have it. Nicolas is making a long-time effort to write the
formal grammar specification while simultaneously identifying and moving
bits of vague parsing Elisp routines into org-element.el (which he
created). I am too partially interested in making Org parser more
uniform and knowing the actual state of underlying Elisp code makes me
reluctant to reply to "official parser" requests immediately (all those
email replies are in my todo-list).

This thread is partially a realisation that without even half-cooked and
accessible grammar description, things can spin out of control.

Note that one of my ideas is creating a set of testing files that should
be easier to contribute without diving into org testing code.

As I mentioned in my other call for patches [1], improvements to
existing patch suite (including testing the grammar) would be very much
appreciated and definitely not frowned on.

[1] https://list.orgmode.org/871r342z6g.fsf@localhost/T/#t

Best,
Ihor

P.S.

One of grammar-related emails in my todo-list:

****** TICKLER [#A] Tom Gillespie [ML:Org mode] (2021) A formal grammar for Org
:BOOKMARK:misc:email:
SCHEDULED: <2021-12-20 Mon>
:PROPERTIES:
:TITLE:    A formal grammar for Org
:BTYPE:    misc
:ID:       ML:Org-mode-<tgbugs@gmail.com>2021-formal-grammar-org-171
:AUTHOR:   Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com>
:CREATED:  [2021-09-22 Wed 13:27]
:HOWPUBLISHED: ML:Org mode
:LINK:
notmuch:id:CA+G3_PNj6Pekqv+tWFkwbD778XhW9WSfx+kjJhjSOREpLHUpRQ@mail.gmail.com
:NOTE:     Online; accessed 22 September 2021
:TYPEALT:  email
:YEAR:     2021
:DRILL_LAST_INTERVAL: 35.8039
:DRILL_REPEATS_SINCE_FAIL: 5