Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:45:36 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Meanwhile, we have a potential solution for donating money: GNU Taler.
> It shows promise, for the long term: even national banks are starting
> to get interested in it.  (See taler.net.)  But banking systems are
> not set up to interact with it today.

GNU Taler requires an intermediary to clear the coins. This would again
be where a platform like liberapay would come in.

The place to bring that up seems to be the "third payment processor" issue:
https://github.com/liberapay/liberapay.com/issues/1394

And they are planning to do that, so a donation via LiberaPay is an
option to minimize proprietary Javascript — and to get rid of it in the
long run.

Though I do agree that it would be nice to have an *option* to send a
bank transfer and/or have an address to mail a cheque.

To take up criticism before it becomes a discussion: While Github is
annoying, you can read it without running proprietary Javascript (I just
checked that by opening it in eww), and you can interact with it using
email.

Best wishes,
Arne
--