Re: Org, Hyperbole, and eev

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Org, Hyperbole, and eev
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:16:26 +0300

* Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org> [2022-06-26 21:25]:
> I took a brief look today at some of the code in the latest packaged
> release of eev from ELPA, as well as a bit at some of your email archives
> and video links.  What I see is that you like things extraordinarily
> concrete and packages like Hyperbole and Org try to build up generalized
> abstractions that can be used in many contexts.  When you try to break down
> how these abstractions work at the very low-level concrete mental model you
> like, you find them too complex and therefore have to set them aside.  If
> you can't bend on that, then I think your choice is right, to just build
> large amounts of low-level code that meets your needs.  I think the way you
> archive long lists of hyperlinks into videos for every few words spoken in
> the video speaks to this style.  I see the utility but this is not a common
> style or need.

Let me add some new view point on that. What is common is not
necessarily what advances access to knowledge. If we think of children
who did not yet learn multiplication table, their common level of
knowledge is what it is. But once they learn multiplication table they
get empowered for life.

Finely grained information management systems are empowerment for
human. It is quite clear that minority of people will use such
systems, just as it is clear that advanced search engine features will
be used just by minority of people.

Computer programs are there to advanced human, not to keep them on the
level where they are. Though majority of corporations want exactly
that, keep the computer user entertained, not knowing the power that
one may gain.

In general, everybody has general benefit of knowledge and access to
knowledge. And in general not everybody will be able to access it.

That howevever shall not stop us of inventing new systems that are of
benefit for human.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns