Re: [emms-help] Re: What about a release?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Re: What about a release?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:12:41 +0200 (CEST)

   > The FSF sent out a announcment about this just today that all GNU
   > projects should switch to the GPLv3 when it is released.

   Should, or must ?

Depends on the project, some GNU projects might have legal troubles to
update to GPLv3.  So it's should. :-)

   Even if the FSF now has the copyright over my code (or what is left
   of it) in EMMS, I would find unpleasant that it decides to change
   "V2-or-later" to "V3-only".

The change is from V2-or-later to V3-or-later, not to V3-only.  If you
haven't read up on the license, I strongly recommend that you do, I
also recommend the essay `Why Upgrade to GPL V3?'
(http://gplv3.fsf.org/rms-why.html).  In either case, the decision to
update the license is up to the FSF, not the project developers.