Re: [emms-help] Re: What about a release?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Re: What about a release?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:24:38 +0200 (CEST)

   > The change is from V2-or-later to V3-or-later, not to V3-only.

   So this means "no longer under v2 at all", right? That was my
   concern, talking about freedom of users and all, and removing them
   from the right to use the V2 license :)

Older versions will be avaiable under GPLv2.  Nor does the user loose
any freedom by using the GPLv3, it is a free software license after
all, users will infact only gain freedom, since deals like MS&Novell
and Tivoization that dimish our rights won't be allowed.

   Please note that I have nothing against the GPL V3 per se,

I understand, I'm just trying to explain the situation.

   but since I gave away my copyright with "V2 or later", I was
   expecting "V2, V3 or later".

You did the form before signing it? :-) If you read the assignment
form, it doesn't speak about a particular license.

   >  In either case, the decision to update the license is up to the
   > FSF, not the project developers.

   That's right, it was just a matter of principle anyway, since I
   sold my soul to the FSF.

You get stickers, so it isn't that bad. ;-)