Re: No next track in playlist

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: No next track in playlist
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 02:09:08 +0500

On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:01:04 +0100
Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:

> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:
>
> > Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
> >
> >> This is making me crazy! :-)
> >>
> >> Emms played just fine 2 days ago, and then since yesterday I am getting
> >> "No next track in playlist" for any folder I try to play.
> >
> > What you are describing is what happens when Emms fails to call the
> > player. What you are seeing is a processing trying to be started,
> > failing, and then moving on to the next track.

> Yes I understood that part, but Emacs can start mpv, no problems. I can
> run it either from Dired or from minibuffer (via shell). I am not sure
> what is difference.

I'd still suspect something getting updated in mpv, maybe even default
config, preventing emms-player-mpv to talk to it.

Try setting (setq emms-player-mpv-debug t) and checking what it says in
the Messages buffer, maybe send it here, if it's unclear what's the
problem there.

There should be errors in Messages buffer regardless of that option if
something known-wrong happens, but some api change or configuration
issue, might not be as easy to detect.

> Does Emms go via shell, or uses process control
> built into Emacs? Must be path right?

It uses process control in emacs, doesn't wrap it in shell by default.

You can customize binary/path and other startup parameters in
emms-player-mpv customization group interactively, or via
custom-set-variables for emms-player-mpv-command-name,
emms-player-mpv-parameters, emms-player-mpv-environment, etc
(all should be listed under that group, and at the top of .el file too).

> I am listening to mpv too as I write this (but via dired :-)).

Current emms-player-mpv.el runs mpv as a persistent process and sends
it commands to play files via its ipc interface, which is probably the
relevant difference here - I'd suspect that this IPC interface doesn't
work as expected in your case.

There's a way to work around the issue by using 'file for
emms-player-mpv-ipc-method, but I'd suggest at least checking debug log
first, as it's quite possible that problem is very trivial, and running
mpv daemon has a bunch of advantages (like getting current-playing
track names updated from it with internet radios, avoiding volume resets
between tracks for .mp3 files, etc).

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net