Re: No next track in playlist

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: No next track in playlist
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 23:21:10 +0100

Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:01:04 +0100
> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:
>
>> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

>> > What you are describing is what happens when Emms fails to call the
>> > player. What you are seeing is a processing trying to be started,
>> > failing, and then moving on to the next track.
>
>> Yes I understood that part, but Emacs can start mpv, no problems. I can
>> run it either from Dired or from minibuffer (via shell). I am not sure
>> what is difference.
>
> I'd still suspect something getting updated in mpv, maybe even default
> config, preventing emms-player-mpv to talk to it.
>
> Try setting (setq emms-player-mpv-debug t) and checking what it says in
> the Messages buffer, maybe send it here, if it's unclear what's the
> problem there.
I set emms-player-mpv-debug but I see nothing different in messages.
Does debug info goes elsewhere?

> There should be errors in Messages buffer regardless of that option if
> something known-wrong happens, but some api change or configuration
> issue, might not be as easy to detect.
>

>> Does Emms go via shell, or uses process control
>> built into Emacs? Must be path right?
>
> It uses process control in emacs, doesn't wrap it in shell by default.

Just as a test exec-path looks good, and Emacs can run mpv with start process:

(start-process
 "mpv"
 nil
 "mpv"
 "--quiet"
 "--really-quiet"
 "--no-audio-display"
 "--force-window=no"
 "--vo=null"
"/home/arthur/Musik/classical/12 Danzas EspaƱolas-Enrique Granados/10 Danza
triste.mp3")

It plays fine; so I guess it is something to my emms mpv configuration.

> You can customize binary/path and other startup parameters in
> emms-player-mpv customization group interactively, or via
> custom-set-variables for emms-player-mpv-command-name,
> emms-player-mpv-parameters, emms-player-mpv-environment, etc
> (all should be listed under that group, and at the top of .el file too).

Ok, I have simplified the setup, removed all custom paths and
unnecessary stuff; now there is just "mpv" part to it.

Above start-process call plays fine, yet when I run setup
below I still get no-next-track message.

(with-eval-after-load 'emms
              (require 'emms)
              (require 'emms-setup)
              (require 'emms-volume)
              (require 'emms-source-file)
              (require 'emms-source-playlist)
              (require 'emms-playlist-mode)
              (require 'emms-playlist-limit)
              (require 'emms-playing-time)
              (require 'emms-mode-line-cycle)
              (require 'emms-player-mpv)
              (emms-all)
              (emms-history-load)
              (emms-default-players)
              (helm-mode 1)
              (emms-mode-line 1)
              (emms-playing-time 1)

              (setq-default emms-player-list '(emms-player-mpv)
                            emms-player-mpv-ipc-method t
                            emms-player-mpv-debug t
                            emms-player-mpv-environment
'("PULSE_PROP_media.role=music")
                            emms-player-mpv-parameters '("--quiet"
"--really-quiet" "--no-audio-display" "--force-window=no" "--vo=null")))

Debug flag does not give me much: this is what I get from a freshly
started Emacs in *Messages* after running emms on a directory:

[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets successfully. [2 times]
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Waiting for git... [2 times]
EMMS: All track information loaded.
No next track in playlist
C-c C-n is undefined
Quit

It shouldn't matter that I have my configuration in eval-after-load (or
rather with-eval-after-load macro), right?

Thanks for help by the way!