Re: New emms-info-native

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: New emms-info-native
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 01:35:17 +0200

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> I got this error on the very first file I tried:
> (error "id3v2 tag/header/frame size [0 68 75 12] is invalid")
>
> exiftool reports that the id3 size is a wopping:
> ID3 Size                        : 1123734

That’s correct, you can find that out also by evaling

  (emms-info-native--decode-id3v2-size [0 68 75 12])

It gives 1123724; that does include the tag header which is always 10
bytes.

This means your file has some big metadata chunk, perhaps cover art?

Try to increase emms-info-native--max-peek-size, which is the maximum
allowed size for the tag.  The default value is 512 kiB.  If you set it
to e.g. 2 MiB you should get rid of invalid size errors.

The reason for that limit is to protect against cases where the tag size
is unreasonably big (e.g. due to corrupt data).  Those could easily
cause Emacs to run out of memory, because the decoder reserves memory
according to decoded sizes.

It looks like the default limit may be too small.

Thanks,
Petteri