Re: New emms-info-native

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: New emms-info-native
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:33:24 -0500

"Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <fran.burstall@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 21:56, Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:
>

>> Can you please try again with a larger frame size limit?
>>
>>     (setq emms-info-native--max-peek-size (expt 2 22))
>>

> (setq emms-info-native--max-peek-size (expt 2 22)) reduces the fails from
> 75 to 15 at the cost of a massive slowdown (52sec for 75 files)
>
> (setq emms-info-native--max-peek-size (expt 2 24)) reduces the fails from
> 15 to zero at the cost of another massive slowdown (69sec for 15 files)
>
> I wonder if one could dynamically and temporarily increase peek size in
> reaction to frame size errors?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the first line you
wrote. The frame-size error needs to be caught and then the read retried
with a higher value until either a success or a critical limit is
reached.

To avoid trashing Emacs and the user's memory the process should
critically terminate when it gets to, say, half the size of your average
mp3, or half the file size if we that on hand. This is since I can go
ahead and assume that there aren't many mp3s out there where half of the
file is metadata.

Petteri, what do you think of the dynamic-scaling idea?