Re: New emms-info-native

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: New emms-info-native
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:23:33 +0200

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:02:49PM -0500, Yoni Rabkin wrote:

> I will admit ignorance to what an "id3v2 unsynchronisation scheme" is.

"Unsychronization scheme" is a compatibility feature for older software that
does not understand id3 tags and looks for MP3 synchronization frames
(certain sequences of adjacent 1-bits) to find out where the actual stream
starts.  This scheme is a simple escaping for such sync frames that may
occur in tags and hence fail id3-unaware software.  I don't have any files
that use this scheme, so I did not bother to implement it.  I also thought
that maybe we can do without it...but now it looks like we can't.

Implementation is not difficult to do, the only problem is that I don't have
any test data readily available.  But it shouldn't be too hard to find some.

Thanks for your efforts.
Petteri