fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] encountered a a bug in Fabric 1.0.1

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] encountered a a bug in Fabric 1.0.1
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 15:37:48 -0700

Hi Yuhan,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Yuhan Zhang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My task is to run Xvfb in the background using:
>     run("sudo nohup Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x1024x24 &");
>
> This works in Fabric 0.9.0 and but not 1.0.1.

Fabric 1.x changed a few pty related settings -- check
docs.fabfile.org for the available settings and try tweaking them a
bit. Specifically, I'd start by setting pty=False (so, run("command",
pty=False)) as that was the default behavior in Fabric 0.9.x.

Otherwise, the ability for things to be backgrounded did not change in
1.x, so any tactic you used in 0.9 to keep something alive without
making the SSH connection sit around waiting for a shell to terminate,
should still be possible in 1.x with the right combination of
settings.

Best,
Jeff