[fluid-dev] Re: fluidsynth on mac OS X

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: fluidsynth on mac OS X
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:16:13 +0200

Josh

Ideally, I would like to use fluidsynth in a live or quasi-live setting using a laptop.

I've used it in this manner before. I have a USB MIDI controller keyboard that I connect to my laptop (it has lots of knobs for connecting to FluidSynth via modulators, which I use Swami to create, I hacked a "global modulators" feature that works nicely so you don't have
to create modulators for every instrument). I enjoy playing this way,

That sounds great!!!!

but I think there is still some work that needs to be done with the synthesis. Its really good at the moment, but there are likely some areas of improvement. I think FluidSynth could use some validation and waveform verification. This could be done by looking at the actual waveform using very specific sample data (square wave, sine wave, saw, etc) and then modulating the various effects to make sure its responding
within SF2 specs.

You're thinking of adding an oscilloscope window?

I am also looking into how I could use fluidsynth as a pure sound
source as opposed to a source of MIDI data. Perhaps, you could save me
some time and give me a few pointers on this.

This is what I get:
ebrahimm% fluidsynth
/Users/ebrahimm/Desktop/sf2demos/VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: debug: Using 'coreaudio' audio driver

Notice: Its using the coreaudio driver, not Jack. You probably need to
run FluidSynth with "-a jack", note that the jack audio server needs to
be running. It would be interesting though to get your input about what
it sounds like with the coreaudio driver. Last I tried it, it sounded
very bad (lots of static, even after turning the FluidSynth gain way
down).

I'll get back to you on that.

Alternatively, if I try

% fluidsynth
(snip)
load /path/to/VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use ROM samples
loaded SoundFont has ID 0

This seems to work. Now, what commands can I use to produce some sound?

noteon 0 60 127
noteoff 0 60

Thanks for the feedback.
Ebrahim