Re: [fluid-dev] pan by channel

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] pan by channel
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:41:47 +0200

Dave Serls wrote:
Is there a mechanism to direct most (or all) of a given MIDI channel to
a given stereo channel?  or specify mix by channel, I guees.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. It could be:

1) Is it possible to specify a pan and/or volume for every MIDI
   channel? Yes, it is. You can send the standard MIDI Control Change
   messages to change both (if you're using the fluidsynth API, you
   can call fluid_synth_cc()).

But I don't think that is what you were asking.

It could be:

2) Is it possible for the synth to output multiple audio channels
   and have, for example, MIDI channel 2 write to
   audio channel 3? The multiple audio streams can than be mixed
   in an external mixer program. This is somewhat possible but it
   is still adventure land. You can start the synth
   with multi audio out, in which case MIDI channel 1 goes to
   (stereo) audio channel 1, MIDI channel 2 to audio channel 2, etc.
   I believe it only sort of works when you use the jack audio
   driver.

I'm not quite sure this will help you out. Send us some more details
if it doesn't.

Thanks for any info.

Dave