Re: [fluid-dev] some notes of Cadenza.sf2 don't sound right

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] some notes of Cadenza.sf2 don't sound right
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:57:51 +0000

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 18:58 +0200, Mihail Zenkov wrote:
> Yes, you write before about this and i have this case in swami on big
> sound fonts. Almost all audio apps interleave audio channels to prevent
> this.

I think a better fix would be to allow voices to be "queued" for
playback and then one operation "activate_queued_voices" or something
would mark them all as active (within a lock).  This would make all
voices in an instrument synchronous.  Not sure yet what this would
actually entail in the FluidSynth code though.

>  > If you discover anything else, be sure to let us know :)
>
> Bug with wrong tune on some b and d depends from sample rate fluidsynth
> and sample rate in sound font. It independent for each channels
> (right/left). When i do two sf in swami with SR 44.1kHz and SR 48kHz  -
> i can't reproduce. But i have few big bank with this bug.
>
> On some banks/notes i feels some strange in tune - note fall form
> overall order. Not sure if it bug in bank or in fluidsynth and not sure
> what i hear, i just feels it sometime :)

I know what you mean.  As mentioned before, chorus and reverb can have
somewhat adverse effects too, which can make things sound out of tune.

> What about 'internal clipping', how can i reproduce this?

I notice that when playing many notes of an instrument it starts
sounding clipped, but the output going to the sound card is not full
output.  Lowering the synth.gain parameter of course helps this.  It
just seems like FluidSynth is rather sensitive to gain problems.  I'm
curious how other synthesizers usually handle this.  Having something
like automatic gain, would likely cause issues too.

Regards,
        Josh