Re: [fluid-dev] re: MIDI mode

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] re: MIDI mode
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 12:53:32 -0700

Hello Jimmy,

Quoting jimmy <address@hidden>:

May I suggest that "gm" be the default mode for inter-operability with keyboards and sound modules. GM would probably be expected mode for most (80-90%???) of MIDI users, especially the beginners.

I'm not sure actually if that is the case. For myself, GM/GS has very little importance and I'm much more interested in creating/using custom instrument sounds. I know that a lot of MIDI equipment does default to GM or GS mode by default, but FluidSynth has not fully supported these modes. So in the interest of backwards compatibility and to keep FluidSynth targeted at the more general use case, I think we should stick with the "normal" (or "advanced" as you suggested) mode for now.

Instead of "normal", I suppose "advance/advanced", or "fs/fluidsynth" mode (because these features exist only in Fluidsynth) would be more appropriate for the tecnically advanced, or detail specific users.

Anyone wanting the more customized/advanced feature that Fluidsynth offer would be spending time to learn and tweak their MIDI's for the "advanced" mode in Fluidsynth anyway. So for them to specify the "advanced" mode would be not much of a big deal.

There isn't a whole lot about it though, that is advanced. Its actually simpler, as far as the rules/logic, than GM and GS modes. Other words that have come to mind:
plain
simple
default

I think I'm starting to like "plain" the best.

Jimmy

Regards,
Josh