[fluid-dev] Re: MIDI mode

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: MIDI mode
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:07:37 -0700 (PDT)

I think GM support is all I can ask for, but understand how GS, XG are designed
and know how to scale them back to GM level is all Fluidsynth need to do.

About MIDI mode of GM, GS, XG...  I don't have any official reference, but from
what I understand, GM only has 128 defined instrument list, and maybe a few
drumsets.  That can get old after a while.

The many hardware makers of "MIDI modules", MIDI capable "synth keyboards", and
"arranger keyboards" need to add better sounds on their higher priced jewels.
So they decide to keep the basic GM common between one price-level to the next
by adding better sounds and drumsets as extensions (extra sounds in extra
banks, still keeping the familiar 128 instruments GM definition loaded with
relatively cheaper sounds).  Some may just be the exact sound samples with
different special effect settings (panning, reverb, cutoffs...)

For example they can have 4 different nylon guitar (or Sax, Strings...) sounds
on the same program number, but on different banks, even if there are few or no
other voices on these extra banks.  They would have different "demos", or
"songs", or "rhythms" using those different nylon guitars that sound much
better than the cheaper hardwares they have.  The cheaper hardware when trying
to play those nylon guitar instruments won't have those instruments in the
defined banks (via MIDI cables, or MIDI files), will fallback to use the same
program number on bank #0 (GM instrument).

Likewise, SYSEX's are hardware specific, mostly depends on what sound chips and
what type and how many special effects (DSP) chips are on that box.  If a
hardware sound module/keyboard doesn't know how to handle some SYSEX messages,
it simply ignores those SYSEX's.  Even the higher end Yamaha keyboards won't
work with SYSEX's from cheaper Yamaha keyboards, and vice versa.  Because they
have different hardware engines (firmwares and chips...)  I know of no hardware
boxes that claims to support all the SYSEX's out there, each will only handle
its own particular SYSEX's to control it's own specific hardware model.

That's also how GS and XG claims that they are extensions of GM and all the
hardware MIDI playing (via cable connection, or MIDI files) can still render
appropriate sound, of course, "appropriate sound" may only match the type of
instrument voice (i.e. Strings, Nylon Guitar, Oboe, French Horn, Sax...) and
may not sound at all as good as it is intended for the hardware it was tweaked
for.

So as long as Fluidsynth provide the appropriate "fallback" instrument-voice
look up and all the basic GM features, Fluidsynth is at least as good as any GM
hardware modules out there.  In fact a GM-supported Fluidsynth allowing
changing of soundfont would be better than all the GM hardwares that won't
allow changing (customizing) of their instrument voices.

I think GM support would be great...  However Fluidsynth interpretes the GM
specs, all hardware makers out there does the same anyway.  After that, GM2
might be something to look forward to.  Since Yamaha already snuffed out XG
(removed all references to XG softwares and XG specs), and Roland doesn't seem
to get any better brainshare with GS.  Those existing MIDI files out there
still only sound best on the hardware they were created on, Fluidsynth only
need to sound the appropriate voices as the notes are played.  The rest depends
on having a superb GM soundfont and maybe a few special soundfonts on top of GM
sounds.

Jimmy