Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:11:15 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
On the other hand, we have people relying on sound effects not being
looped endlessly (as pointed out by Christian).

I think the answer to that, is to always honor note-offs for looped instruments.
This will fail on many percussion sounds in a GM bank that have a looped tail (tom toms in GeneralUser, TR-808 bass drum, cymbals, etc.).

Nobody has said anything about my proposed solution to this problem. I hate to be a pain, but it really is an ideal solution that eliminates the need for all of this discussion about when to note-off or not.

To reiterate my idea:
In my plan, note-off events wouldn't be eliminated, but instead required to be at least 8 ms after the note-on event. We'd simply be creating a minimum possible note duration (8-10 ms) to allow the note to get through the attack phase. As far as I can tell from my testing in the past, this appears to be similar to the technique that Creative uses in their SoundFont playback engine, because I can't find any evidence that they are ever ignoring note-offs.

I believe my idea solves the drums-not-sounding problem without creating any new ones. It completely solves the headache of "which notes do we still need note-offs for", it eliminates the risk of possible "stuck" notes. It can be used for GM/GS/XG, whatever. I would even say that you could use this technique by default regardless of whether GM/GS mode is enabled or not, because there are *no* adverse effects. Only benefits.

-~Chris