[fluid-dev] Re: MIDI mode

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: MIDI mode
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:17:21 -0700
> From: address@hidden
>
> Quoting "S. Christian Collins" <address@hidden>:
>
> > address@hidden
> wrote:
> >> It still seems a bit weird to me to try and pick a
> minimum note
> >> duration, which will work well with most
> instruments, which could
> >> have different attack durations, etc.  It may
> be that it works fine
> >>  in practice though.  I just don't like
> it.  If you have a
> >> percussion instrument that has a short release
> phase, you'll just
> >> end up with a 8ms or 10ms percussion sound, so it
> will still get
> >> cut short and sound weird.  If a MIDI file is
> truly expecting
> >> note-offs to be ignored, it wont be getting that
> behavior.
> > In theory, however, there shouldn't be percussion
> instruments with
> > short release times, unless that instrument's length
> is variable
> > (guiro, whistle, SFX).  There are two conventions
> that are understood
> > regarding this:
> >  1.  Instruments that are struck and then
> resonate are programmed with
> > an appropriately long release to allow the sample to
> play fully
> > regardless of how long the note is held down... just
> like a real
> > percussion instrument.
> >  2.  Sequencers that program 0-length MIDI
> events expect the above behavior.
> >
> > Assuming the sample programmer in convention #1 did
> his job correctly,
> > convention #2 will always work with the note-off
> delay.
> >
> > -~Chris
>
> Ok, that makes a little more sense now.  So I guess
> the "missing
> percussion" issue is because the note duration is less than
> the attack
> time?  So, with a minimum note duration setting, so
> long as its
> greater than the attack time of the percussion instruments,
> should work.
>
> Josh

How about Fluidsynth chooses a default minimum-note-duration for now, and
allows for using configuration file and/or a way (passing configuration
settings via some API, or commandline arg) to change it.  This way, folks can
also test against their own MIDI files and set it to their liking, or give us
feedback/suggestion as to what the better default minimum note duration shoud
be for future releases.

Jimmy