Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:29:37 -0700

Quoting David Henningsson <address@hidden>:
address@hidden wrote:
Quoting David Henningsson <address@hidden>:

If there is no difference; either just add GM (preferred), or add GS,
XG and GM2 (to indicate future improvements). Does that make sense to
you?

Its tempting to add all of them and the relevant SYSEX On/Off messages, just for the usefulness as an indicator. So if the user notices it saying XG, they can be pretty sure things are going to be fairly broken, if its trying to use any of the extended features.

Is the user going to notice that by an info message?

I suppose not, unless we enable it when synth.verbose is set to TRUE or something. As it is now, it would be just if they checked the midi-mode parameter via the shell.

I think its kind of hack-ish to have a delay parameter, since choosing the proper value has some pitfalls. It could still end up cutting the sound short and then only for certain instruments in certain SoundFont files, leading to inconsistency between instruments and confusion as to what is wrong.

If the attack is a little too long, the sound is normally not cut off
but moving on to the release phase, so it would just have a somewhat
lower volume, rather than sounding "cut off".

It still seems a bit weird to me to try and pick a minimum note duration, which will work well with most instruments, which could have different attack durations, etc. It may be that it works fine in practice though. I just don't like it. If you have a percussion instrument that has a short release phase, you'll just end up with a 8ms or 10ms percussion sound, so it will still get cut short and sound weird. If a MIDI file is truly expecting note-offs to be ignored, it wont be getting that behavior.

I just realized that a per channel Volume Envelope Release offset generator could be set, which would extend the release stage of any instruments on a particular channel.

That would not help ticket #1 though, since we never get through the
attack phase, so we start release from a volume level of zero = no
sound.

True.  I hadn't thought of that.

I am also starting to like the note-off-percuss setting, for the added flexibility.

Good :-) Then will you add both synth.note-off-percuss and
synth.midi-mode (if they aren't there already)?

Yeah, I think I will add both of them. One issue I can see though, is that it might be nice to have the note-off-percuss setting be handled instead by a per channel ignore-noteoff setting. That would be a lot more flexible, since you could then specify that behavior on any channel. Maybe the MIDI router would be the best place for that.

Perhaps, but MIDI files to not pass through the MIDI router currently.
Should they do that?

Good question.  Seems like that could be useful.

Well it seems I kind of missed my deadline to get the MIDI mode stuff sorted out. I should have that done within the next day or so though. I spent a lot of time working on the Windows build of FluidSynth. Fixed a lot of bugs and got the TCP server working, more details in another email.

That's well spent time as well :-)

Probably so :)

// David

Josh