Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:47:29 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
It still seems a bit weird to me to try and pick a minimum note duration, which will work well with most instruments, which could have different attack durations, etc. It may be that it works fine in practice though. I just don't like it. If you have a percussion instrument that has a short release phase, you'll just end up with a 8ms or 10ms percussion sound, so it will still get cut short and sound weird. If a MIDI file is truly expecting note-offs to be ignored, it wont be getting that behavior.
In theory, however, there shouldn't be percussion instruments with short release times, unless that instrument's length is variable (guiro, whistle, SFX). There are two conventions that are understood regarding this: 1. Instruments that are struck and then resonate are programmed with an appropriately long release to allow the sample to play fully regardless of how long the note is held down... just like a real percussion instrument. 2. Sequencers that program 0-length MIDI events expect the above behavior.

Assuming the sample programmer in convention #1 did his job correctly, convention #2 will always work with the note-off delay.

-~Chris