Re: [fluid-dev] Sustain long fadeout a property of the synth or the font

From: Louis B.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sustain long fadeout a property of the synth or the font?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:33:23 +0100

Obviously that should read "as well as the sustain MIDI signal" as you want both MIDI signals to operate at the same time.

On Oct 25, 2011 7:00 AM, "Matt Giuca" <address@hidden> wrote:

It wouldn't be that explicit. You would do it by hooking a modulator
to some CC input and using it to extend the volume decay phase - you
can do that in the soundfont or the synth.

However, I don't see a way to do it with the sustain pedal, since that
suppresses all noteoff events while it is held. You would want to
connect the pedal to some different CC. So, what you have is a
property of the synth, but could be replicated with some effort.

Good point. So what you are basically saying is that on my Yamaha (PSR-550 if anybody is wondering), the sustain pedal is not really doing a sustain, it's doing an "extend the decay phase" instead. So all I have to do is change my MIDI file so that I'm sending that signal. I'm not sure what that signal is or if it exists, but I'll have a look for it. Thanks Andrew.