Re: [fluid-dev] Sustain long fadeout a property of the synth or the font

From: Graham Wykes
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sustain long fadeout a property of the synth or the font?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:54:06 +1100

Just on a side (musical) note.  With Piano, the "Sustain" pedal undamps all the strings so you do get sympathetic resonances AND the notes die away slowly with the pedal held.  So it seems the Yamaha is modelling this.  But then, on a piano, the notes die away even if you hold the keys; one of the reasons it is classified as a percussion instrument, not a stringed instrument. The middle pedal of a Grand is the "Sostenuto" pedal which lifts the dampers of whichever notes you are holding at the time, leaving you free to play other notes while these are held.  But still the notes will die away.

Way back when the early synths were developed, the envelope of a sound was divided into 4 segments referred to as Attack, Decay (of the attack, to the) Sustain (level that the note will be maintained at until let go into the) Release.  This was intended to be able to simulate the starting transient of an instrument.  The standards today still reflect that thinking.

So the "Envelope Sustain" provided by a sustain pedal or code in MIDI is NOT sustain in the Piano sense but is more like sustain in an Organ sense.  Interestingly, some of the larger Theatre Pipe Organs had a "sostenuto" switch which held on the pipes that were sounding when the switch was activated.  In this case, the pipes do keep sounding until you release the switch - more like MIDI.

So take your pick - sustain or sostenuto!  (With apologies to those who already know this stuff)

Regards
Graham