Re: [fluid-dev] Problem in fluidsynth (Ubuntu 11.10) still in Ubuntu 12.

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem in fluidsynth (Ubuntu 11.10) still in Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 10:33:06 -0600

David, and all:

Something else I forgot to point out in my prior reply, is that once Qsynth (FluidSynth) gets into the 'bad state' (for whatever reason), even simple pieces fail to play (new notes get dropped unpredictably).

The only way to get it out of the 'bad state'  is to restart the Qsynth engine.

I also recall that you said Pedro ran into this problem (which was the reason it got fixed originally).

Be aware that it is not fixed in the long-term-support version of probably the most popular Linux distribution.

- Aere

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:47 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 04/28/2012 06:40 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> All:
>
> Months ago, I discovered a problem with fluidsynth where voices for new
> notes would fail to play because (my guess) older notes which had faded
> to inaudible status were still playing.
>
> I worked with David Henningson on this problem, and he made a fix for it
> available (in a PPA).
>
> This fixed the problem in Ubuntu 11.10, and I assumed it would be fixed
> in the next release of Ubuntu (12.04).
>
> Unfortunately, the problem (or a similar, new problem) is in the version
> of fluidsynth in Ubuntu 12.04.

The bug is still present in Ubuntu 12.04.

This mainly due to lack of time/priority/thought from my part.

There has not been a release of FluidSynth lately, so there is no
upstream release that could have flown the "natural" way through Debian
to Ubuntu.

And, nobody has tried to backport the actual commit (as a bug fix) to
Debian or Ubuntu.

For Ubuntu 12.04, this fix should be SRUable, if somebody just sits down
and does the paperwork: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

I guess we could also release a version 1.1.6 of FluidSynth with the
current tree in it, if we like.

// David

--

Sincerely,