Re: [fluid-dev] libinstpatch integration?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] libinstpatch integration?
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 09:48:15 +0200

On 2014-06-07 01:13, Micah Fitch wrote:
So anyhow, I'm curious about this.  Right now I can't even have multiple
instances of a 300 MB soundfont without really taking up lots of
unnecessary memory.  It'd be nice to change that.

Actually, this has recently been fixed in FluidSynth, there hasn't yet been a release that has this feature though. I e, if you have two different FluidSynth instances that both load the same soundfont, they will share the soundfont memory.

P.S. Here's a totally off the wall idea...  to make an LV2 plugin based
on Swami.  That's kind of intriguing to me for some reason!  But would
probably be a good amount of work.

FWIW, I made some draft/alpha code for interfacing LV2 and FluidSynth a while ago, but I haven't got that far on it yet, the main reason being lack of time.

I'm not sure exactly how libInstPatch works, but I've been thinking that maybe one could just mmap the entire soundfont instead of loading it into RAM. Or possibly load the metadata into RAM, but not the sample data. With today's modern SSD drives with low seek time, it should perhaps be possible to load things directly from disk while keeping reasonably low latency. That's just an untested idea though.

// David