Re: [fluid-dev] libinstpatch integration?

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] libinstpatch integration?
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 09:39:37 -0600

On 06/07/2014 01:48 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
I'm not sure exactly how libInstPatch works, but I've been thinking that maybe one could just mmap the entire soundfont instead of loading it into RAM. Or possibly load the metadata into RAM, but not the sample data. With today's modern SSD drives with low seek time, it should perhaps be possible to load things directly from disk while keeping reasonably low latency. That's just an untested idea though.
David:

This is pure speculation, but I think there is software out there that does this (or something similar).

I'm thinking that AU Lab on Mac OS X is an example (it uses soundfonts).

When using that, if I switch instruments while holding out a chord & notes (in performing), the sound briefly cuts-out during the instrument change, then resumes.

I experience a similar problem when switching instruments using ZynAddSubFX, on Linux.

The way to avoid this, is before I start to perform such a piece, I change to each of the instruments I will be using (but don't actually play any notes at this time).

Then, when I switch instruments during the performance, the change is seamless. The change isn't totally seamless with ZynAddSubFX, but it's at least barely noticeable.

--
Sincerely,
Aere