Re: [fluid-dev] libinstpatch integration?

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] libinstpatch integration?
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 11:08:51 -0600

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Aere Greenway <address@hidden> wrote:
David:

This is pure speculation, but I think there is software out there that does this (or something similar).

I'm thinking that AU Lab on Mac OS X is an example (it uses soundfonts).

When using that, if I switch instruments while holding out a chord & notes (in performing), the sound briefly cuts-out during the instrument change, then resumes.

I experience a similar problem when switching instruments using ZynAddSubFX, on Linux.

The way to avoid this, is before I start to perform such a piece, I change to each of the instruments I will be using (but don't actually play any notes at this time).

Then, when I switch instruments during the performance, the change is seamless.  The change isn't totally seamless with ZynAddSubFX, but it's at least barely noticeable.

--
Sincerely,
Aere

The MIDI standard has some concept of allowing equipment time to change instruments after a program change event.  This means that MIDI files should take this into account as well, at least with events found in the middle of a file.  I could see a MIDI player pre-loading instruments based on the program change events it finds at the beginning of a song, prior to playing it, therefore not requiring a delay before not events.  For that matter a MIDI file could be scanned and all of the used instruments cached at the beginning or cached prior to when they are needed.  This of course isn't possible in a live setting when a program change is received, leading to the brief pauses you mentioned.

Best regards,

Element