[fluid-dev] FluidSynth and glib

From: Johannes Schickel
Subject: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and glib
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:52:54 +0100

Hello,

first of all thank you for your awesome project!

I am a member of ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org) and I am currently looking into getting our FluidSynth support a bit more up to speed (i.e. get it into more of our ports, updating to the latest version, etc). It looks like there are some obstacles for this though. The biggest one is the glib dependency. For example, modern glib versions do not support Win9x anymore (2.6.9 is the last one to support this AFAICT from: http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Main/Downloads), which is some target we still support.

From a quick look at FluidSynth I have the feeling libfluidsynth includes a lot of code we are not interested in for ScummVM. We are only really interested in the actual synthesizer part. I hoped this part would not depend on glib, however I found references to glib's hash table and thread code. Is there any chance for the future that FluidSynth's core synthesizer could be built standalone and without glib dependency? This would allow us to switch to a version more up to date than FluidSynth 1.0.9.

Thanks,
Johannes