Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and glib

From: Chris Robinson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and glib
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:33:20 -0800

On 01/13/2016 08:47 AM, Ryan Gonzalez wrote:
glib isn't actually that huge, and Fluidsynth puts it to good use.
Cross-platform threading is hard. I'm writing an application that
depends on Fluidsynth, and it wasn't really a program.

It's not too difficult to wrap up pthreads and Win32 threads into a common API. C11 also includes a threading API.

The problem with glib is that it's a big pain for me to use on Windows. At least, last I looked there was no prebuilt libs and headers that I could drop into my (cross-)compiler, and building it required building a number of dependencies that were difficult to get set up. Things I'd need to do for both 32-bit and 64-bit targets. And when I do, it leaves me with more DLLs to keep track of.

I really like using FluidSynth in my projects, on Linux, but the problems with glib on Windows has been a big barrier to me using and recommending it more broadly. Even if I get it working, it will be just as big of a problem for anyone else that wants to build my projects on Windows.