Re: [pooma-dev] goofy Domain constructors

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] goofy Domain constructors
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:46:51 -0700

    Julian> members from a templated base class.  These members are
    Julian> not visible under the C++ lookup rules, so you have to
    Julian> qualify these with the "this" pointer (or with the base
    Julian> class name for static members).

I don't understand this.  The funny lookup rules only apply to types;
data members should work fine.  For example, this is legal:

  template <typename T>
  struct A { int i; };

  template <typename T>
  struct B : public A<T> {
    void f() { i = 3; }
  };

However, your changes still aren't a bad idea; the standard says that
if there was a global `i', the code in B would use that *rather* than
the base class version.

A meta-point here as well: it's good to make the code cleaner, but
working with HP's compiler is not *in and of itself* a project goal.
If we get better code that way, or if you get other work done, that's
good; otherwise, it's probably not worth it.

It's horrible to be pretending to be management; you have to actually
say things like that.

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden