RE: [pooma-dev] goofy Domain constructors

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] goofy Domain constructors
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:23:33 -0700

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, I don't expect
Blanca to use aCC, since you're not targeting
HP platforms.  That is only for our benefit at
Caltech, where we have several parallel HP boxes.
I am doing that work outside the LANL contract,
but obviously I want changes folded in to the
official Pooma code, rather than carrying around
a separate "Caltech" version.  So I'm making
changes that will enhance portability but avoiding
ugly hacks that should not be necessary under the
ANSI C++ standard.

I just recently got an account on the new Compaq
TeraScale machine at Pittsburgh Supercomputing
Center.  I plan to take Pooma 2 over there at some
point and check things out under the Compaq compiler.
Also, I don't think my LLNL account is still active,
but I do have an account on the IBM SP machine at
San Diego Supercomputer Center.  Caltech has been
using the IBM Visual Age C++ compiler there for its
C++ code, and it seems to be fairly standard-compliant.
So again, I will take Pooma 2 there at some point and
see how things are looking under that compiler.  (By
the way, the Visual Age C++ compiler is usually in
/usr/vacpp/bin, rather than /usr/bin, so you need to
make sure you use the right one!)  This portability
testing will be done as part of the LANL contract.

-- Julian C.