RE: [pooma-dev] Domain traits

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] Domain traits
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:19:36 -0700

Hi Scott,

OK, I will go ahead and replicate the DomainTraits
traits info in the Domain subclasses.  Just be aware
that code written using the traits this way will fail
when the object is not actually a Domain subclass
(e.g., an int).  I would prefer to eliminate such
potential pitfalls now, while the changes are easy
to make and the code base is small.  But I am clearly
in the minority on that point.  I will document the
potential problem here with code comments, in case
this bites us later.

By the way, I made an attempt to implement Jim's idea
of eliminating DomainTraits specializations for Domain
subclasses and making the general DomainTraits<T> get
all traits from T.  Alas, it doesn't work.  There's
one really important reason for DomainTraits: to define
Storage_t, the type of storage for the Domain's actual
data.  This data lives in DomainBase, a parent class
to Domain.  A Domain subclass cannot provide the type
for this data member of DomainBase, so it must come from
an external class: hence DomainTraits.  I forgot about
that.  Somewhere, Bill Humphrey is laughing fiendishly...

I'll check stuff in later today.

-- Julian C.