GCC Questions

From: Dave Nystrom
Subject: GCC Questions
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:05:55 -0600

I am revisiting my earlier efforts to try to use gcc to compile our source
code base and have several questions.

1.  I am currently using gcc-3.0.  Should I upgrade to a more recent
    snapshot?  If so, which one?

2.  How do I turn on/off exceptions with gcc?

3.  What options do I use in order to try to force as strict as possible
    compliance of my code with the C++ Standard?

4.  Are there particular options which you would recommend for either my
    debug or optimized builds for our Pooma 2 based code?

5.  Are there any provisions or analogs to the library closure features that
    are used with EDG based compilers?

6.  What loader does gcc use when building on SGI Irix 6.5 systems?  If it is
    the SGI loader, is it possible to use the GNU loader on SGI Irix 6.5
    systems?  There appears to be a problem with the SGI loader which
    prevents it from using libraries that are larger than about 512 MBytes.
    Some of our debug libraries are larger than this limiting size.

--
Dave Nystrom                    email: address@hidden
LANL X-3                        phone: 505-667-7913     fax: 505-665-3046