Re: GCC Questions

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: GCC Questions
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:30:49 -0700

--On Friday, October 26, 2001 02:05:55 PM -0600 Dave Nystrom <address@hidden> wrote:

I am revisiting my earlier efforts to try to use gcc to compile our source
code base and have several questions.

1.  I am currently using gcc-3.0.  Should I upgrade to a more recent
    snapshot?  If so, which one?

The new 3.0.2 release may compile faster.  But, I have not tested
POOMA with it.

2.  How do I turn on/off exceptions with gcc?

-fno-exceptions

3.  What options do I use in order to try to force as strict as possible
    compliance of my code with the C++ Standard?

-ansi

4.  Are there particular options which you would recommend for either my
    debug or optimized builds for our Pooma 2 based code?

-g for debug, -O2 for optimization

5.  Are there any provisions or analogs to the library closure features
that     are used with EDG based compilers?

No.

6.  What loader does gcc use when building on SGI Irix 6.5 systems?  If
it is     the SGI loader, is it possible to use the GNU loader on SGI
Irix 6.5     systems?  There appears to be a problem with the SGI loader
which     prevents it from using libraries that are larger than about 512
MBytes.     Some of our debug libraries are larger than this limiting
size.

Under contract from LANL, we mostly completed a port of the GNU loader
to IRIX.   However, that port was never finished (we were asked to work
on other projects).  So, GCC uses the SGI loader.

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden