Re: [pooma-dev] GCC Questions

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] GCC Questions
Date: 30 Oct 2001 09:16:21 +0100

Dave Nystrom <address@hidden> writes:

| I am revisiting my earlier efforts to try to use gcc to compile our source
| code base and have several questions.
|
| 1.  I am currently using gcc-3.0.  Should I upgrade to a more recent
|     snapshot?  If so, which one?

I think GCC-3.0.2 is a good candidate.  In case you might want to
experiment with the GCC-3.1.x experimental series, please remember
that that series is unable to correctly output depencies so the build
will fail with clueless messages.

| 2.  How do I turn on/off exceptions with gcc?

-fno-exceptions

| 3.  What options do I use in order to try to force as strict as possible
|     compliance of my code with the C++ Standard?

        -ansi -pedantic-errors

(-ansi alone unfortunately isn't sufficient to enfore strict adherence
to ISO C++)

| 4.  Are there particular options which you would recommend for either my
|     debug or optimized builds for our Pooma 2 based code?

        -g -O2

And for debugging purpose, I would add also -Wall -W for the build stage.

| 5.  Are there any provisions or analogs to the library closure features that
|     are used with EDG based compilers?

Hmm, I'm unsure as to what you mean here?  Please could you elaborate?

-- Gaby
CodeSourcery, LLC                       http://www.codesourcery.com