Re: [pooma-dev] [RFC] Removing workarounds for pre-ISO C++ compilers

From: Jeffrey D. Oldham
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] [RFC] Removing workarounds for pre-ISO C++ compilers
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:42:24 -0700

Richard Guenther wrote:

Would there be any objections to the removal of the workarounds for pre-ISO C++ compilers like

checking whether we have complete IO manipulators... yes
checking whether we have a standard iosbase class... yes
checking whether we have sstream... yes
checking whether we have a complex inside std... yes
checking whether we support dependent template arguments... yes
checking whether we support delete operators with placement argument... yes checking whether we handle default args to template functions correct... yes
checking whether we have std::ios_base::fmtflags... yes
checking for support of templated friends... yes
checking numer of template arguments of std::ostream_iterator... 1
checking for std::min(), std::max()... yes
checking for standard conforming iterators... yes

Pretty much any up-to-date compiler handles these correctly today. Also not all such uses are guarded by the workarounds and I lack a dumb enough compiler to check their correct usage.

Any thoughts?

Richard.

There are still a lot of gcc 2.95 and related compilers in use today. I prefer to leave them but let them rot unless there is a compelling reason to remove them now.

--
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden