Re: [pooma-dev] [RFC] Removing workarounds for pre-ISO C++ compilers

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] [RFC] Removing workarounds for pre-ISO C++ compilers
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:37:14 +0200

Jeffrey D. Oldham wrote:
Richard Guenther wrote:

Would there be any objections to the removal of the workarounds for pre-ISO C++ compilers like

Pretty much any up-to-date compiler handles these correctly today. Also not all such uses are guarded by the workarounds and I lack a dumb enough compiler to check their correct usage.

Any thoughts?

Richard.

There are still a lot of gcc 2.95 and related compilers in use today. I prefer to leave them but let them rot unless there is a compelling reason to remove them now.

I see. I'd remove them only to unclutter the source and maybe increase maintainability if formally stating we require an ISO conformant compiler. Oh - we do so already:

<quote README>
This version incorporates other minor source code changes to support
compilation using g++ version 3.1 and some improvements to POOMA
Fields.  Compilation using g++ version 2.96 is no longer supported.
g++ version 3.1 is freely available at http://gcc.gnu.org/.  POOMA has
also been tested using KAI C++ 4.0e.
</quote>

Richard.