Re: [FR-devel] Standard source code header.

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Standard source code header.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:35:02 +0100

Curt Hibbs wrote:

Laurent Julliard wrote:

I'm a bit reluctant to include any kind of link to a location that is
subject to change. if one day we migrate our CVS tree elsewhere or even
Savannah changes the way it references change logs of a given file then
we must go through all the headers and modify them. Tedious...

I had the same doubt with referencing people's email in the header
because email addresses tend to change as well so may be email could be
optional.

I think that you raise some reasonable issue. I have a couple thoughts and
questions.

While it is possible for anything to change (web addresses, email
addresses), in our inter-networked world it also seems reasonable to include
links to relevant information. But we want to make sure that things we link
to are reasonably stable.

So my question is, what do we consider to be stable enough that we can link
to it? Can we link to our Savannah project pages? What about our rubyide.org
wiki pages? (BTW, Rich and I tried to purchase freeride.org from its owner,
but he wouldn't sell.)

I like the idea of using the CVS log for the history. If we decide its a bad
idea to include an actual link we could include a textual reference ("See
the CVS log for file history."), leaving it up to the reader to know where
the FreeRIDE CVS repository is located.

Or would including a link be OK, because if the location did change, we
could easily do a global change on the source code to fix it. On the other
hand, if we started to have many different types of references like this, I
could see how it could get unmanageable.

I've got mixed feelings on this and could go either way, although I really
like the idea of taking advantage of modern hyper linking.

Comments?

I'm really reluctant to any kind of hyperlink in the header. THis kind of information should typically be included in the top README file where you give:

- a brief overview of the project
- a pointer to the Web site (Wiki page)
- how to get the source code (CVS on Savannah)
- how to submit bug or support request (Savannah again)
- how to suscribe to mailing lists

Everybody knows what to expect from a README file and I don't think necessary to clutter the introductory header of each source file with redundant information.

The goal of this header is really sort of legal: say who the author is and to which "entity" this file belong to.

On a second thought the header should not say "Written by" but should have a Copyright Statement. This is because we do not belong to an entity to which we can assign the Copyright so we must keep it the individual level.

So the header should be something like this:

# Purpose: what this file is all about (2-3 lines maximum)
# ....
# $Id$   (<- CVS standard header for version number and date)
#
# Copyright (C) Year, Author's name  <email>. All rights reserved.
# Modified by: Author's name <email>
#
# This file is part of the FreeRIDE project
#
# This application is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the Ruby license defined in the
# COPYING file.
#

Laurent