[FR-devel] RE: Welcome to FR-devel

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [FR-devel] RE: Welcome to FR-devel
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:51:00 -0700

Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek wrote:

> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> >I have just approved your subscription to the FreeRIDE developers
> >mailing list. It is a tradition on this ML for new comers to introduce
> >themselves so that we know each other better. Would you mind doing so
> >for your first email to FR-devel?

You are now a member of the FreeRIDE developer's list, so you should be able
to post to the list directly. But I went ahead and posted this to the list
for you.

> It's probably a good idea.
> I am 22 years old and live in Prague, Czech Republic (thats in Central
> Europe).
> I'm using computers quite a while (my first computer was 8-bit ;-) but I
> was never motivaded enough to write any large program (but I wrote
> several programs that can do something relatively useful).
> I'm currently running Linux most of the time. Unfortunately there are
> still things I cant do under Linux, but there is fortunately Vim for
> Windows ;-) In the past I was using a clone of the thing Spectums have
> in their ROM, DOS, and all flavors of Windows except 2.x and XP.
> I tried to install HURD on my computer but there is still some tweaking
> needed before it becomes a usable system.
> I tried ruby because it promised to make programming easier and faster.
> I think it really does.
> I currently use Vim as the (almost) all-purpose all-plaform IDE and
> editor. I like the fact that I can use vi even if it is running on a
> computer to which I connect through five intermediate systems each
> running a different flavours of unix. Most other editors are useless in
> this case as terminal settings and X forwarding get usually screwed up
> along the way.
> But vim certainly still lacks some features like code completion. This
> is why I am interested in FreeRIDE. I hope I will be able to test some
> development version of the IDE soon or even write some code.

Take a look at recent postings to this mailing list to get yourself
up-to-date as to status of FreeRIDE.

> To complete the introduction I should mention I like fantasy and sci-fi
> literature and I'm interested in any sort of cutting edge
> (pseudo-)science (which I do not necessarily always  understand). But
> that is probably of little interest.
>

> If you dont understand what I'm writing it's probably because it is
> quite long since I took my last English courses ;-)

Actually, your English is quite good! In any case, welcome to the group.
Take a look at the various subprojects on the FreeRIDE wiki to wee where you
would be most interested in helping. As soon as I get the initial version of
he GUI Framework released, there will be plenty of work for everyone.