RE: [FR-devel] First Developer Release of FreeRIDE coming VERY SOON!

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] First Developer Release of FreeRIDE coming VERY SOON!
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 06:25:51 -0700

Hal E. Fulton wrote:

> > You can open and edit files, the mechanism is in place for defining
> commands,
>
> This impacts the Scripting project if I understand you correctly.

Yes. I know the original plan called for you to design/implement the command
support as part of the scripting project. Any framework that put together
would have been useless without having any commands. What I have defined is
just the very basic core of a command object that currently has only two
operations: an execute method and a menu_text attribute. There is still much
room for growth here.

[snip}

> Does this allow for the smart-icon idea to be implemented?
> In a nutshell, this is how smart-icons would work:
>   1. User creates a script or macro
>   2. User selects a small icon from a predefined library
>   3. Smart-icon is associated with the script or macro and placed
>       on a toolbar

Yes it does. Toolbar support still needs to be implemented. And I could see
a default icon/smart-icon being part of the command object itself, and a
separate mapping facility (probably in the toolbar support) that would allow
the user to override the default with the icon of heir choice.

Curt