Re: [FR-devel] 0.0.4 tag and released on Savannah

From: Horacio Lopez
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] 0.0.4 tag and released on Savannah
Date: 03 Jun 2002 16:08:12 -0300

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 08:56, Laurent Julliard wrote:
> The subject says it all
>
> - I just tagged the CVS repo with tag FR_0_0_4
> - I have made a fresh cvs export, tgz'ed it, push it to Savannah and
> publish a piece of news on the new release.
>
> Do you think we should push my announcement to the ruby-lang mailing
> list now or waqit for the next version?
>
> Laurent

Learning from other people mistakes, namely, the PHP Zend IDE
and others, I think it's counter productive to announce
the current state of FreeRIDE as an official release.

Most developers are longing for a real good tool and we have
made some of them to dream of new possibilities.

If we make an announcement right now, without doing enough
debugging and without including significant plug-ins,
most will be somewhat delusioned and will get back to
their good ole editor.
And then comes the bashing, and questions like "should I
give up emacs for this ??".
I think we should avoid that.

IMHO we should wait, and instead of making an announcement,
we should publish something like an interview to Rich
in RubyGarden.
That wouldn't be an official announcement, yet it will
maintain our level of visibility and reliability.
(which, in turn, will make new developers flock to
this damn good project :-)

Maybe I am wrong, but that's what I honestly feel.

what do you guys think ?

About the RPMs, thanks for your effort Laurent, I
think many others will appreciate your packages
as much as I do.

cheers,
          vruz