[Fsfe-uk] Fw: OFT and MSSA

From: Tom Knight
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Fw: OFT and MSSA
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 20:59:48 +0100

Hi just seen this on a local list in Sheffield and thought people may be
interested.

cheers

Tom

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:44:44 +0100
From: Richard Ibbotson <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Sheflug] OFT and MSSA

Hi

This came to me from the SuSE schools list.  Thought that someone else
would like to read it.....

From:  ian <address@hidden>
Date:  Today 11:06:36 am

In December I filed a complaint to the OFT with regard to MSSA being
anti-competitive because it requires the payment of licences to MS for
machines that do not run any of their software. I think most people
would agree that an effect of this, intentional or not, is to block
competition by ensuring revenue for MS from rival installations. There
was an article in the Register and the Times on this and I am talking
to Computer Weekly about it tomorrow. The OFT have now decided there
are reasonable grounds for a full investigation so collecting
evidence is important.

This is an important issue for Suse and in fact any Linux distribution
that wants to get onto the desktop in schools. If MS succeed in a
strategy of getting most schools onto the MSSA it will virtually kill
any chance of getting Linux at the desktop in schools. The OFT, has
specific bureaucratic requirements in investigating these issues and
it could take up to 2 years to come to a judgement and even then it
might not be the one we would like. So this is only a beginning but
an important one if Linux is to thrive in schools.

If you have any evidence that MSSA is blocking Linux adoption in your
school or any other that you know, particularly if you work for a
commercial Linux company (Roger?) the principal case officer dealing
with this is address@hidden If you need more
information drop me a line.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-5-664844,00.html

(Times link)

Thanks,

--
ian <address@hidden>

Sheffield Linux User's Group -
http://www.sheflug.co.uk/mailfaq.html

  GNU the choice of a complete generation.