Fw: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response

From: Robin Green
Subject: Fw: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 01:17:38 +0100

I'd like a copy please Ian. Bouncing your message to the list:

----- Forwarded message from ian <address@hidden> -----
To: Robin Green <address@hidden>
Date: 19 May 2003 23:05:01 +0100

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 17:01, Robin Green wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 08:09:36AM +0100, ian wrote:
> > > Interesting.  I notice the response doesn't really seem to address the
> > > specific points you made, particularly regarding the behaviour of
> > > large corporations abusing patent law to eliminate competition.
> >
> > If they do this in the UK we can use the 1998 competition Act and the
> > Office of Fair Trading to fight the case for us so there is no legal
> > costs except to the large corporate. The 1998 Act specifically addresses
> > IPR abuses with regard to fair trading.
>
> Well, that is some good news!

Better news but until we try it we don't know if it works!

> I'm sorry, I just discovered AFFS yesterday. Could you me point me to the
> relevant section(s) of the Act (online?) Also, do you have any plans to
> publish your presentation online?

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal+Powers/ca982.htm

Is a good starting point.

I have the presentation as an OO.org presentation. Its only 11.8k so I
could send it to the list as an attachment but usually attachments
aren't accepted on such lists. If not, if those interested send me an
E-mail I'll reply with the attachment - just a bit concerned in case I
get 50+ to do individually :-)

--
ian <address@hidden>

----- End forwarded message -----