Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response
Date: 19 May 2003 08:09:36 +0100

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 21:11, Karl Naylor wrote:
> > On the issue of European software patents, I recently wrote to all
> > the West Midlands MEPs, and I have had one interesting response
>
> Interesting.  I notice the response doesn't really seem to address the
> specific points you made, particularly regarding the behaviour of
> large corporations abusing patent law to eliminate competition.

If they do this in the UK we can use the 1998 competition Act and the
Office of Fair Trading to fight the case for us so there is no legal
costs except to the large corporate. The 1998 Act specifically addresses
IPR abuses with regard to fair trading. The legislative complexity is
bound to throw up areas where the law is in conflict. If nothing else
such actions will generate a lot of publicity. While I would rather not
see software patents, given that they are very likely to happen, its
best to be prepared to get even rather than get angry.