Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:32:42 -0000

Jim Peters <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> This seems to be just as frightening as I/we feared.

Indeed.  FWIW, my position is that software function follows an algorithm,
which is really a mathematical relationship, which already exists
naturally, so it's a discovery of a naturally occuring phenomenon,
not an invention.  Do they really want to open the door to patenting
discoveries rather than inventions?  Descriptions of the discovery in
code are already covered by copyright.

> In particular, it may be worth pointing out that the requirement for a
> 'technical effect' in a software patent is not in any way sufficient
> protection for the Open Source community (or even the software
> industry in general).

Much of the "Open Source community" typically follows the published
position of OSI/opensource.org in claiming not to have a belief about
this.  (What abdication of responsibility!)  So, people like OFE can call
themselves "open source" but support them.  I think having a consistent
view about software patents destroying the freedom to use software is
one of the few things that distinguishes the free software community.

> I know I'm not at all up to speed with the software patent issue
> compared to some people on this list (who was that guy who spoke at
> the meeting?), so please correct me if necessary.

Ciaran spoke at the meeting.  I'm not sure if he's on this list.  Alex
is another person who I look to for guidance on this, as well as Harmut
Pilch and AFFS's FSFE friends.  Possibly it is useful to discuss this on
the main address@hidden list and co-ordinate across Europe?

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: address@hidden
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.