[Fsfe-uk] Afterthoughts on patents article

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Afterthoughts on patents article
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:24:40 +0100

I just saw my software patents article on the www:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/issue/inview.asp?vpath=/articles/2003/05/28/view02.htm

Most of my updates were submitted too late, it went
to print last tuesday.

  The editor made some changes, s/he removed mentions
of specific companies, probably for legal reasons.
S/he restructured some sentences, all good, but s/he
also removed my line at the top which said that software
patent legislation is being decided on soon.

  The article is still good, it still lets electronics
people know how (some) software people feel, but it
no longer highlights the need for action.

  So to others writing articles, make sure you highlight
certain parts as being important.

Ciaran O'Riordan
(I'm still working on an updated version to submit to
other magazine, possibly Electronics News.)