gforge-devel

Re: [Gforge-devel] address@hidden: [Gforge-commits] Commit info]

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Gforge-devel] address@hidden: [Gforge-commits] Commit info]
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:37:28 +0100

Ryan T. Sammartino (2003-02-14 11:29:25 -0800) :

> Uhm...
>
> why? :(

The Debian packaging system works like this.  A "source package" is
composed of an "upstream" tarball, the one that's released by the
upstream development team, and a Debian-specific patch.  That
Debian-specific patch cannot contain changes made to binary files
(that includes the addition of such binary files).  Since the Gforge
tarball released by Tim did not contain all the images (it only
contained the ones for the Gforge theme, not for the other themes),
the Debian-specific patch had to re-add these images.  Binary files
are forbidden, so the work-around is to uuencode the files, so that
the patch only concerns text files.  The real fix for this problem
would be that future releases do not forget themes other than the
Gforge one.

> A CVS update has toasted all my .png files.  And my old utility
> script for converting the .uu files is gone.

  You can use "deb-specific/manage-uufiles.sh decode".  This script is
used when building the Debian binary package, so that it contains the
real image files.

> Could we go back to the way things were before this change?
> Resubmit the .pngs? Please?

  If future releases don't leave them out, sure :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Sauvez les castors, tuez les bûcherons.