Re: [glob2-devel] new gradient system

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] new gradient system
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:05:11 -0500

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 04:55, Nuage wrote:
> MOA333 wrote:
> | did you saw the tests?
> |   the full recursive checkSums is taking 60% and more of CPU time
> | on 256*256
> |
> |   Do you think we can do somethink about this?
>
> We could very easyly remove it, but this would make the desynchronisation
> bugs harder to find. All this CPU is used into Map, Sint32 checkSum(bool
> heavy); when heavy=true. I think that we'll add an option to enable/disable
> it.

I really do not know what I am talking about here, but perhaps it could help.

I get the impression that calculating the checksum of the map surface (I
assume this means ressources,) is taking much of the time.  Would it be
feasible to have it so that it only calculates a checksum of what has
changed?  Perhaps you could have it so that it keeps a checksum of the map,
that is simply added to whenever there is a ressource change.

Also, would it be easier to debug if the checksums were separated into
different parts?  (ie, one for the map, one for the globules, and one for the
buildings?)

Again, I probably do not know what I am talking about.  :)

MWM