Re: [glob2-devel] Alleyways, and pathfinding

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Alleyways, and pathfinding
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:59:52 +0000

On Friday 04 November 2005 08:13 am, Andrii Zvorygin wrote:
>    - shortcut problem: this is the problem where you have say two lanes
>    beside each other, so theoretically the globules can use one to go
> forward and one to go back. however they the do not do this very
> efficiently and keep bumping into each other becase one of them is usually
> longer then the other. they always wish to take the shorter path though
> it's no faster. Thi cis is a limitation of the wavefront algorithm as far
> as we can see. - circuit problem: this is the problem where you have one
> lane leading towards a resources and one lane leading away, due to the fact
> that the shortest path is going to be only one of the two lanes they wont
> even consider the second, same problem as mentioned in the shortcut problem

A while ago I had an idea for solving this.  The player can paint 'arrows'
similar to forbidden area.  Globules will not enter a space from the opposite
direction of the arrows.  This does add more management, but in this case it
might be a good thing.

Note that you also have the problem of fast globs being held up behind slow
globs, burning food.  Perhaps these arrows could optionally enforce a minimum
speed?  (Similar to the minimum attack strength/speed for warriors.)

MWM